Thursday, March 6, 2008

Spotlight on Zagoskin

What would you say if I told you of a Second Life designer whose creations you could also wear in your First Life?  I have met such a designer and her name is Euterpe Zagoskin.  Euterpe is lucky enough to live in the middle of London which is one of the great cultural centers of the world.  She immerses herself in art galleries and museums and even gets to attend gallery openings, great theatrical performances and concerts.  In her very own words: "I design what I want to wear myself, so very individual!"
HD: Your designs are very classic, where does the inspiration come from?
EZ: Everywhere really.  For example, the Chrysanthemum dress, which is in the MODA Spotlight, is based on an old Chinese gown in the V&A museum (in London).  The fabric for the Nina dress, one of my bestsellers, was inspired by some hand wood-blocked Japanese paper.  The diplomat dress started life as the full dress uniform of a British Ambassador in the nineteenth century and, some other of my dresses are based on abstract paintings.

Euterpe in Crysanthemum dress Euterpe in Nina dress
The "Chrysanthemum" dress The "Nina" dress

D: Any other styles of clothing you've never created but are "itching" to do so?
EZ: Lingerie, but Camilla Yosuke at Insolence makes such fantastic lingerie I am not even going to try to compete.
Euterpe in Racing Blue Ski Suit
HD: What is the design you've most enjoyed creating so far?
EZ: It's always the most recent ones.  I spent some time over the winter making a range of ski and apres-ski wear.  Getting the textures just right was quite hard but I really enjoyed the technical challenge of some aspects of that.

HD: How often do you present the SL world with a new creation?
EZ: About once a month, although I now have the fabulous Shir Dryke helping me with some of the administration aspects of having multiple boutiques.  So perhaps, I can spend more time designing.

Christine in Mitsu coat

HD: Do you have a creation that has a special sentimental value to you?
EZ: My range of fur trimmed winter coats were the first clothes I made to get blogged.   So although I am sentimental about them, when I look at them mostly I just think “gosh I could make that better now!”  The picture shows my beautiful house model, Christine Daffodil, in the "Mitsu" coat (in black).

HD: Can you recall the most memorable comment made by a visitor to your studio?
EZ: More than one person has asked whether they could have one of my dresses in RL as well as SL.  I find that a pretty amazing compliment.
HD: Is there anything you would like the rest of the world to know about Euterpe Zagoskin, Fashion Designer?
EZ: Hard question to answer, but I would have to say that I am in SL for the beauty not for the money.
HD: What kind of "souls" do you like to hang out with in SL? 
EZ: Almost all my SL friends are content creators of one form or another. 
HD: Is there a place in SL that has truly amazed you? 
EZ: All the time.  The recent things that have struck me are how much I love the quality of the building at Armidi.  I am also fascinated by places like Caledon and Neufreistadt because of the way people are coming together to organize their lives. 

The main boutique of Zagoskin Haute Couture is located on Linji (151,92,42).
Happy Shopping everyone!

No comments: