Thursday, January 17, 2008

Up Close and Personal with Ambergris Baphomet

My Sunday was made all the more perfect as I had the pleasure of meeting with Ambergris Baphomet today, January 13, 2008. What a delightful way of spending a Sunday afternoon, chatting and visiting her designer shop! We met one day prior to the MODA Spotlight event.
Ambergris, Fashion Designer/Owner of Ambergris Deadly Fashions, is an early pioneer in the Second Life fashion industry. Born in the latter part of the year 2005, in the days when the flexi prims were not even yet available. Not too many of us can imagine our fashionable dresses not flowing perfectly.

Helene Diplomat: I am thrilled to have the honor of meeting you today
Ambergris Baphomet: This is very exciting.
HD: Of all the creative activities available in Second Life, what attracted you to fashion designing?
AB: Well I was already interested in fashion RL, and I saw SL as a way to see if I could do some of these things myself.
HD: Do you remember what the first design was you ever sold?
Ambergris laughs.
AB: Yes, I do.
AB: There is a funny story associated with that.
HD: I'm all ears.
AB: I was in the middle of setting up my store, and I had only a couple of items on the walls. I was not really paying attention and did not realize someone was in the store. So it knocked me out when they purchased one of my halter tops.
HD: I bet it was exciting!
Ambergris laughs.
AB: Yes, I think I panicked a bit too - "I am not officially open yet."
HD: What fashion style did you originally concentrate on?
AB: I started out being mostly darker - goth/vamp style.
HD: Being a pioneer of SL, can you tell me some of the challenges you faced back then?
AB: Pioneer? I guess being two years old is old... What I can mostly remember is the transition from non-flex to flex. I was not sure if I could learn that. Also, be able to keep making gowns and such the way I wanted.
HD: I see that you adapted famously...
AB: thank you Helene.
HD: Where do you find your inspiration Ambergris?
AB: Many, many places. Mostly the real world. magazines, movies, TV shows, walking around. I like to see what people are wearing and, items that work well together.
HD: Is there one design that has a special sentimental value to you?
AB: Not one in particular, but I would say I have a fonder affection for my hand drawn designs, than any others. They seem to reflect me and what I want to "say".
HD: Do you have a very favorite one possibly?
AB: Actually, I think I showed it yesterday on my runway. “Scarlet Fantasy”; it is a pantsuit that you could not really wear in RL.
HD: I remember seeing that one... It was very striking.
AB: If I had to pick a favorite, that one would be it. A little sprinkle of SL magic to hold it in place.
HD: It was very provocative but great for a night on the town in SL
AB: Yes (Ambergris smiling)
HD: From a concept to having a design in your designer shop, how long is the process?
AB: Oh wow, that actually can be quite a long time, but for the most part...say if I have an idea for something right now and, I sit down at The Gimp and start drawing. If all goes well, I say I have the templates done in about an hour.
HD: And from templates to the shop?
AB: Then I upload into SL, take pictures, create the box photo tableaux - then upload again - then fill the boxes, then place on my wall.
AB: Wooo!
Ambergris giggles
HD: Oh my gosh, it never ends!
HD: Currently, what is the fashion style you are creating the most?
AB: I think the long formal gowns, evening wear - and then on the flip side, I create a lot of mini-dresses and match them up with boots. I would say split evenly between those two styles.
HD: You never get bored...
HD: Any comments regarding the fashion industry in SL?
AB: Yes, I think that as designers, we should support each other more instead of trying to pull each other down. That is why I do my own shows, I have guest designers etc. Also, there is a group called Designers in Seclusion that is very supportive.
AB: Iit is hard to do business in SL in general, why not help each other along?
HD: How interesting! And I do agree with your comments.
HD: How difficult is it to be a successful designer and a business person? ...such as time commitments, marketing,... etc
AB: I love how you framed that question. Indeed those are almost two different things. Take for example the EFA contest. It really embodied both of those things. Ok, you make a wonderful design - now in order to win, you need to sell as many of it as possible.
AB: I am used to marketing in real life, so once I learned the "pathways" in SL, is not too hard but, it can be difficult when you are a new designer. I also support that too. I have a vendor area in my shop - many of my group members are aspiring designers.
HD: Any "pearls of wisdom" for young designers wanting to follow in your path?
AB: hmmm....
AB: I did make some blunder along the way - but really the most important thing to remember is: if you are starting out, is to keep having fun. Once it starts being "un-fun" as I call it - time to try finding something else.
HD: I think it's so great that you are encouraging aspiring designers
AB: Each person has their own style, and if you think about it, the only person you are in competition with is yourself.
HD: You are a very wise person....
You: On a different note, what was the most interesting comment a shopper or fan has ever made to you?
AB: Let me think.. I would have to say one of my group members (the Ambergris Addicts). He wears my gowns mostly. Sometimes I forget and, when I get a comment from him about how lovely new gown is, it startles me for a second :D
Helene laughs.
HD: Any dream projects you'd like to accomplish in Second Life?
AB: I would really love to be able to make skins. I do not think I would even try - but I literally do dream about what styles and makeup I would do.
AB: In the meantime, I would settle for eloping with my current crush. (shhhh!)
HD: You never know where your path will take you.... dreams are always nice.
Ambergris giggles
AB: it does keep me stretching out and trying new things. Hair, furniture, and my footwear and boots. I never figured I would end up creating things like that.
HD: Valentine's Day is approaching, are you planning something special at your shop?
AB: I think I will make a cute set or fat-pack as my valentines design, then drape hearts and things all over the store. Nothing too special.
HD: I'm sure your fans are always looking forward to new creations showing up in your shop.
HD: I have a very romantic date with my soul mate this evening. He's taking me dancing to a very fancy club. Can you recommend one of your creations to me?
AB: Yes I can actually. one of my latest; it is called Serenade. It dances really lovely :) waltzing and so on.
HD: Maybe, I'll go visit your shop again after this interview.
HD: Now, the MODA Spotlight is coming this Monday...
AB: Nervous! Excited!
You: Are you presenting your whole range of fashion designs or just a specific line?
AB: I will be a taste of everything; menswear included, sort of a journey from where I started, to now.
HD: That is very exciting. I'm assuming you'll be in the audience watching?
AB: Bouncing up and down and cheering the models on!
HD: The Spotlight models will do your creations justice. I just know that for a fact.
AB: I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with the MODA models. They are amazing.
HD: In closing, what would you like the SL world to know about you Ambergris?
Ambergris pauses and reflects.
AB: I think mostly that despite being an actual reclusive designer - I am trying to "get out there" more. I have extreme tunnel vision, and I think I have missed out on a lot in SL. So please feel free to say hi and hello if you see me out and about.
HD: Anytime, you need a chaperone to take you around, I'll volunteer...
Ambergris chuckles.
HD: This is the end of our formal interview my dear, I want to thank you for taking the time to meet with me and share your outlook
AB: You’re welcome Helene - my pleasure.
Little does Ms Ambergris Baphomet realize that the pleasure was all mine. Such a gem of a person and a really down to earth type of individual! I was given a tour of her fashion house: Ambergris Deadly Fashions and observed the creator in action designing at her drawing table.

As I write this, I look forward to being in the audience watching the MODA Spotlight models showing the magnificent designs. Should you have missed the live show, it can conveniently be viewed on the SLCN.tv website at anytime.

Please visit Ambergris Deadly Fashions designer shop located at Knot(208,62,81). Happy shopping!

No comments: