Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Chez Gabrielle - Showcase

I have the greatest job in SL! I get to meet with designers and just chat away. I invited Gabrielle Gateaux to my home so that I would get to know her better. Some of her fashions were featured in the MODA Fashion Showcase presented on February 7th, 2008. What a delightful and down to earth person she is. Did you know that her boutique Chez Gabrielle has over 60 locations throughout SL? She describes her fashion style as conservatively sexy. Gabrielle prefers making dresses but recently she created a line of lingerie items. Her favorite creation is named the Southwest which she designed while she was remodeling her boutique and listening to classic rock. In order to manage so many stores, Gabrielle reached into her vast first life experience in information technology. How else could you stay on top of your retail empire? Her creations are very popular because she believes that you shouldn't have to pay a lot for quality.

Gab red dress I have the greatest job in SL! I get to meet with designers and just chat away. I invited Gabrielle Gateaux to my home so that I would get to know her better. Some of her fashions were featured in the MODA Fashion Showcase presented on February 7th, 2008. What a delightful and down to earth person she is. Did you know that her boutique Chez Gabrielle has over 60 locations throughout SL? By the way, she scaled down from 150 locations because she was spending too much time paying rent and setting up boutiques rather than designing clothes.

She describes her fashion style as conservatively sexy. Gabrielle prefers making dresses but recently she created a line of lingerie items. Her favorite creation is named the Southwest which she designed while she was remodeling her boutique and listening to classic rock. In order to manage so many stores, Gabrielle reached into her vast first life experience in information technology. How else could you stay on top of your retail empire? Her creations are very popular because she believes that you shouldn't have to pay a lot for quality.

Gabrielle shared her humble beginnings in Second Life with me. (I removed the name of the famous designer so as to protect his identity as a mentor.)

Gab Taffeta

GG: Can I tell you a funny story as to how I started designing clothes?
HD: Sure, I'd love to hear it
GG: My first day in SL, I was going all over the place trying to figure this game out...and I met "Mr. Big" (of "Famous Design House", and he'd probably kill me for telling this) came up to me and said.....My, you're really ugly.
GG: Well I laughed and agreed, and he gave me clothing, showed me where to buy hair and really helped me figure out a few things. He is the one who actually got me started designing clothing.
You: You are so lucky to have met a gentle soul
You: Did he share his secrets with you?
GG: Many people here are lovely, I've met quite a few very wonderful people here.
GG: Well not all of them of course, but he told me enough to get me started.
GG: Now all I have to do is catch up to him! (and Gabrielle laughs at this challenge)
HD: Have you ever taken someone under your wings as a mentor?
GG: I'm not sure it would be mentor status, but I've helped a few people get started designing clothing. Answering questions about Photoshop, etc.
GG: I have learned some things from other designers as well.
HD: That's so great... helping other people

I asked Gabrielle if she had any wise words to share with new designers. "I'd just tell them to design what they like and they'll be surprised that there are others that will like it as well."

Special thanks to Elysium Eilde of [Ida] Agency for helping with the photos but please note that Elysium's standards are much higher than seen here as she did not get the opportunity to edit her snapshots because I wanted to post them quickly.

1 comment:

Jujudoll Dancer said...

Elysium Eilde did a beautiful job photographing for us. In my opinion, no editing was needed, I love her work! Many thanks to Elysium and [ida] for bailing us out of a tough situation and for sharing their generosity and talent with MODA. I can't even tell you how much I appreciate this :)