I am the luckiest lady in Second Life! Today I invited Indira Bekkers into my home since she is expanding her flagship boutique on the Avatarum sim to make room for her new collection. This Dutch fashion designer has been quite busy and has achieved an unbelievable amount of success in less than a year from the opening of her first boutique. She now has three boutiques and a loyal clientele. Her First Life occupation does not leave her much room to express her creative talents so as a resident of Second Life, this is paradise found for her day after day.
She describes her style as "contemporary business style and part couture." Her moods dictate the next design she will be creating and the influential European fashion scene and ordinary people inspire her. Indira has taken on some special projects in the past such as custom suits for men, several outfits for RL businesses and unique dresses for special occasions such as opening events.
We talked about the effort needed to create the perfect outfit and to that effect, Indira described the steps she follows. First, a sketch is drawn on paper, followed the fabric textures decisions. Then, it's down to creating the shape of the outfit, layer by layer, applying the fabric textures, uploading the pieces and making the complete outfit. Sometimes, some retouching needs to be done in order to meet the high standards of quality she has set for her collection. An Indira Bekkers design can usually be completed in two to three evenings of work.
| Indira is wearing her own design: "Printed Wrapped Dress" |
HD: Is there a design that has a special meaning to you?
IB: That would be the Little Black Dress, it's the first dress I made, not for commercial purposes but for myself when I still was kind of a newbie. I was so proud when I had that on the first time. Indira was smiling as she was reminiscing about the past.
HD: What does it take to be a successful designer?
IB: It takes a lot of time to make it work and commitment as well, but it's so much fun and I meet meet all kinds of wonderful people.
HD: What would you say to young designers?
IB: Dare to be yourself and be patient.
A little known fact about Indira Bekkers: she loves ice cream, her favorite flavors are chocolate, coconut, banana and strawberry.
Her rezz-day is March 10th, don't forget to send her warm wishes of many more years to come!
Indira Bekkers is the featured designer for the MODA Fashion Spotlight of Febrary 18th, 2008. Join me in watching with delight the live telecast on SLCN.TV.
No comments:
Post a Comment